Fixing SSH login slow issue

on the new VBox nodes,  ssh access is slow.

debug2: key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa ((nil)),
debug2: key: /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa ((nil)),

….Slow here…

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password


To Solve the problem, I can see the Box with public network access can reply soon,
Its the reverse ip DNS issue,

On Server side: sshd_config

Fixing SSH login long delay

pkg: PACKAGESITE in pkg.conf is deprecated.

Note for the pkg changes.

pkg version>1.1.4 and Im currently using 1.2.7

after moving onto pkgng, pkg update  shall report following warning:

It’s just a trick and would like people to migrating onto repo files asap.

Please refer
Availability of binary pkgs for Download

  1. Ensure your pkg(8) is up-to-date. ‘pkg -v’ should say at least 1.1.4. If it does not, first upgrade from ports.
  2. Remove any repository-specific configuration from /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf, such as PACKAGESITE, MIRROR_TYPE, PUBKEY. If this leaves your pkg.conf empty, just remove it.
  3. mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
  4. Create the file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with:

FreeBSD move onto PKGNG

I just upgrade my FreeBSD and using PKGNG instead, as old pkg_add is currently marked obsolete.

pkgng – best thing since sliced bread!

pkgng: First look at FreeBSD’s new package manager

After these steps, run pkg update.

Report following packages conflicts with newers.

after that, pkg update should work.

following 2 libs reported missing: and

New system fonts display seems not good,  anti-sawtooth font’s option cannot be enabled.
it should be owned by the auto dependency installed wqy fonts.
problem is involved by a wrong-configured fonts.conf, which applied to all fonts size<17

Edit: /usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.avail/85-wqy.conf

replace 16 with 8, or just remove the 85-wqy.conf file.


xarchiver shows empty on zipfile

It’s a stranger issue on my box fc15.


Xarchiver to show zip/bz2/tar/rar… files correctly but not function for long time on zip.

when Xarchiver opens zipfile, it showed empty window, but it can correctly extract files.

I tried re-install Xarchiver rpm or re-compile from src. it still not working.

[Root cause]
it’s the problem of zip version

[suse@suse ~]$which zip

well I installed 11.2 db on this box that’s why zip directs to a wrong path. xarchiver only choose binary from $PATH, not hard coding..


to solve, put /usr/bin/zip before the $ORACLE_HOME/bin

it’s not always a good practice to put $ORACLE_HOME/bin in $PATH……